How will Brexit affect the EU driving licence in the UK? There seems to be a lot of confusion surrounding Brexit. Here is a quick guide to making it easier to understand the changes that could potentially affect you.

If there is a no Brexit deal.

  • The Licence Bureau has warned UK drivers that their driving licences may not be valid in the EU. In the event of the nation exiting with no withdrawal agreement in place.
  • Currently, UK driving licences are valid in the EU. If you hold a UK licence. You can drive for both work and leisure purposes. Throughout the EU without other documents.
  • UK drivers looking to drive for business or pleasure in EU countries. Or looking to hire a car will need to be in possession of both a UK driving licence. And one or both of two different International Driving Permits (IDPs).
  • The warning from Licence Bureau follows the Department of Transport (DoT) publishing a detailed guidance document. Entitled ‘Driving in the EU if there’s no Brexit deal’’ published on the 13 September 2019.
  • IDPs are available from Post Office counters at a cost of £5.50 and take around five minutes to complete.

UK Driving License For Foreigners

What if you have a UK driving license and you are a foreigner?

  • If you live and drive in an EU or EEA country
  • You must exchange your UK driving licence for a licence in the country where you live.
  • You should do this before the UK leaves the EU.
  • Some EU and EEA countries will continue the current licence exchange arrangement after a no-deal Brexit.
    In other countries, the process will change.
  • You may also need to retake your driving test.*
  • Check the list of countries to see what the criteria is to exchange your licence.

Driving In England With An American Licence

Can you drive in England with an American licence?

  • You can drive in the UK for a year.*
  • If you are a tourist or are visiting for up to a year you can drive in the UK with your American license.
  • You will then need to contact the DVLA for your provisional license (Learner’s permit).
  • Take the theory (written) and practical (road) tests to drive legally.

Here are some tips if you are driving in the UK

  • Study the road signs. There are a few that you will only find in the UK.
  • There are 3 main types of roads in the UK. Signs and speed limits will differ depending on which road you are driving on.

       1) Motorways: High-speed roads (70 mph)

  • Motorway signs are blue with white text.
  • Motorways are named with an M prefix or suffix (for example M4 or A329 (M)).
  • Junctions and exits are announced one mile in advance.
  • Motorways are free to drive on except for a small part of the M6, north of Birmingham.

        2) Primary roads (A and B)

  • Signs are green with white text.
  • Smaller and slower roads which can either be single or dual carriageways.
  • You can find both primary A-roads and primary B-roads.
  • B-roads are generally regional and link up less populated areas.

       3) Non-primary roads (A and B)

  • The signs are white with black writing.
  • These routes are often present when there is a primary route close by.
  • They offer an alternative that could be more direct and avoid dual carriageways.
  • They can be either A or B roads.
  • You can also find C roads across the UK, but these are very small and not often noted on national maps.

If you are visiting the UK and you need roadside assistance in the areas that we cover. Raf Autos is always ready to recover you and your vehicle – call 01184492443